Everyone seems to be talking about one thing after the main unveiling of Apple’s 2020 Developer Conference ( WWDC 2020 ): iOS 14 betas, the trial version of Cupertino’s upcoming mobile operating system.
Software is generally in the background when it comes to technology. Sure, we are all dazzled by the brilliance of smartphones, especially if it’s a new iPhone. However, iOS is an exception.
The next generation of the iPhone and iPod Touch operating system will have radical additions to the iPhone’s formula, such as home screen widgets, directions for cycling, and even a feature that lets you touch the back of your iPhone. to activate actions.
There’s no question: iOS 14 is one of the biggest software releases of 2020. But how can you get the mobile operating system on your phone? Although the final version is not yet in the near horizon, it is possible to access a test. Below we will explain how to download iOS 14 beta on your iPhone.
You should only consider that beta versions, either for developers or public, are usually riddled with errors. Therefore, we do not recommend installing them on a device that you use frequently. Crashes are common at this stage of development, and you may end up losing valuable data. Therefore, we recommend a backup device.
Patience: only for developers at the moment
If you want to get iOS 14 betas, unfortunately, there is a big but: access is currently limited exclusively to developers. What does this mean in practice? That you must have an Apple developer account, which has an annual cost of $ 99 dollars.
Unless you don’t worry about spending that money, this is a high price only to have access a little more early than the rest. That’s right, because when we talk about “a little more early access”, we mean that the “public” beta version of iOS 14 will arrive in July 2020.
Anyone can sign up for the iOS beta program, giving you access to trial versions of Apple’s mobile operating system. However, you should be aware that these may have errors, so we recommend that you do not install it on a computer where you handle sensitive data.
Do you have a developer account? You can download the beta version of iOS 14 right now and we will explain how to do it.
Only some iOS devices will be able to access iOS 14. Apple maintained its long tradition of supporting devices beyond their usual expiration date. Make sure you have one of the following computers before starting the iOS 14 download and installation process.
- iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus and iPhone SE (1st generation)
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2020)
Make a backup before you start
If you have the right iPhone and your $ 99 subscription, then you can start downloading the beta version of iOS 14 for developers. But previously, make sure you have backed up your data, in case the worst happens.
Using Apple iCloud is the easiest way to back up your iPhone. Here we briefly explain how to do it:
- Connect to a wifi network.
- Head to the Settings app, then select your name and tap iCloud. If you have iOS 10.2 or earlier, you’ll need to scroll down and select iCloud.
- Scroll down and select iCloud Backup> Back Up Now. If you have iOS 10.2 or earlier, just tap Backup.
- You can check if the backup has been completed by going back to Settings, pressing iCloud> iCloud Storage> Manage Storage, and tapping your device in the list.
Backup to Mac with macOS Catalina
While macOS Catalina 10.15 left the iconic Apple iTunes in the past, you can still back up your iOS device to this operating system. These are the steps you should follow:
- Connect your iPhone or iPod Touch to your Mac and make sure it is updated.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to enter your device password, or tap Trust this computer.
- Open the Finder app and find your iPhone in the sidebar.
- Tap the General tab, then Back up now to get a backup manually.
Backup to Mac or PC with iTunes
If you have a Mac with a pre-Catalina operating system or a computer with a Windows operating system, you can still use iTunes to back up your iPhone or iPod Touch. This is the procedure:
- Make sure your iTunes is up to date and connect your device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions if you need to enter your device’s password or choose Trust this computer.
- Select your iPhone or iPod Touch in iTunes.
- Click Backup Now to back up your data.
Download and install the beta version of iOS 14 for developers
Developer beta versions for previous versions of iOS were exhausting matters, and you needed to manually download various tools and the full beta version to a computer before installing it on your iPhone.
Fortunately, Apple has changed its approach and now you can install the developer beta by visiting the Apple Developer Area on the device you want to use, downloading the beta profile. When you do, open Settings> General> Profile and activate the beta version. And that’s it!